Monday, April 6, 2009

Our Day for Worship and Dog Walking

Sunday morning saw Dee and I heading in separate directions. She went to our church and Sunday school class and I headed to Crafton to preach there. The Crafton church is a small Baptist Church in downtown Crafton. I remember being there several times when we lived here before. In fact their previous pastor, Bill Morford, did our taxes for several years.

When I arrived I was greeted by Charlie Brown (yes that's his name) the husband of the pastor Marie Brown. Marie was sick and I was filling in for her. As it turns out, the organist had surgery during the week and was having reactions to the pain medications, and so she wasn't there either. Thus, everything was done a cappella and a boom box was connected to the sound system for nice prelude and postlude music being played. The congregation was lively and went with the flow. I'd taken my Q Chord along for the children's chat. The kids like the instrument and asked to play it after the service was over. My part in the service went well. I did the "Biblical Storytelling" method of the scripture reading. (memorized the text, and then told it to the congregation in the hopes that they would "experience" the text rather than just "hear it being read.") The sermon seemed to go well.

Pat Stetz was the worship leader for the day and she did the communion part of the service. All was done with an informality about it, but it was worshipful and meaningful to those who were there. They are a friendly congregation. Pat introduced me to each parishioner as they exited the sanctuary.

When I got home, Dee and I had lunch. We're been having deli sandwiches lately for lunch (flat bread with smoked turkey and ham with a little Beemster cheese, tomatoes etc.) The meats come from McGinnis' and is very tasty. Later we went out for dinner at Longhorn (with a gift card and coupon).

One of our new friends at our church has a father who died on Thursday. We went to the funeral home to pay our respects, and visit with them for a bit before heading home. The gentleman who died was 91 years old and was called "Pap" by his family. His son-in-law is one of the men in our Tuesday morning men's Bible Study group.

When we got home, we walked the dog around the block (62 degrees), read the paper, watched some TV, talked with Kerri on the phone, and then used the hot tub to relax with a glass of White Zinfandel at dusk. We finished off the evening watching "American Graffiti" (great music) with Ronnie Howard and Richard Dryfus. I was surprised to see Harrison Ford in it too. All in all it was a nice day.

No comments: