Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cheese Glorious Cheese

This is the view from our room at Seven Springs as we sat in our room and looked out the window. Cool.

Yesterday we decided to work on the windows at home by putting a thin film on them that keeps out UV rays and cold air while allowing a person to look out the windows. We did the basement window first and we already have noticed that there is a difference. We also did the door window to the deck. A lot of heat must escape through the window pane because by just adding the "film" it's made a difference. We're going to do the rest of the windows today - at least until the product runs out.

We also went to Barnes and Noble and perused some of the books I discovered online about cheese. I got so turned on at the "getaway weekend" that I want to learn more about cheese. Afterward, we went to Costco, and I examined their cheese department to see what kind they had on hand. I bought some Pecorino Romano from Italy. It's made from sheep's milk and came highly recommended by the cheese expert at the "getaway". Later we had some as a snack with a nice white wine, pinot grigio, that we bought in Virginia. Yummm. Then, I ordered three books on cheese from Amazon.com so I can read about how cheese is made, eaten, served and paired with wines. And to learn about some of the cheeses I'll be trying and looking for. Fun stuff. Can't wait!

Last night I went to Barbershop Harmony Chorus practice. We're getting ready for the "singing valentines" emphasis by learning the two songs we'll sing for people as a gift to their "special someone." We also began practicing in earnest the two songs we're going to do for competition. I was glad to see that Alan was back and that Bob, whom I invited last week, also returned. It was a good practice. I'm beginning to see that the guys who learn the song by ear, and can't read music, are at a disadvantage when it comes to learning new songs. They still learn the song, but it's a different process for them.

Afterward, Dee and I watched some television, tried our new cheese

No comments: