Friday, December 5, 2008

My First Visit

Yesterday was my follow up visit to the periodontist where I learned that although I'm brushing my teeth properly, I have some bone loss below the gums where the brush doesn't reach and so I'm going to have some work done in those areas.Lots of $$$$ even with insurance. Tra-la. But first I have to get a root canal. Oooo.

On the way home I spotted at the local Cokesbury store and picked up couple of copies of "The Upper Room" devotional. I plan to give them out when I start my "visitation." Then I made my first call on a guy named 'Paul". The visit went well. He freely offered that he stopped going to the church about the time he'd had surgery and the previous minister resigned to take another church. I think he felt abandoned. Then he said he missed singing in the choir. (Now he can't because of breathing issues and the oxygen bottle he carries with him at all times.) Since he had an appointment to go to we didn't get to talk much, but he seemed to appreciate my visit and accepted the items I gave him. It really felt good to be connecting with people in the way I used to, that is, "in a clergy capacity." I almost felt energized as I identified myself to him and the son and the reason for my visit. I think that'll make subsequent visits to others easier.

Then I went to a local place called The Fig Tree. It's owned by a member of the church and I thought I'd just stop in and meet her. She wasn't there, but I did meet one of the employees, who, as it turns out was also a member of the church. In fact her father is the guy who has been encouraging me to sing with the worship team.

When Dee got home from work, she put the finishing touches on the crock pot dinner of a beef stew dish that was heavenly. We stayed in for the evening as it was really cold out.Dee worked on new holiday curtains for the kitchen. (See picture tomorrow) and I did some reading in the living room with the Christmas lights, fireplace and Christmas music by that Mannheim group. I find that space so relaxing with the white lights on the garland and the tree. uummmm.

No comments: