Monday, December 1, 2008

The First Sunday of Advent

Here's a photo of the full tree at PPG place. Notice the skaters on the rink surrounding the tree. There were actually a lot more skaters, but this was just after the zamboni finished smoothing the ice surface.

Sunday was much more relaxed in that we took our time reading the morning paper before heading off for worship at 11 a.m. It was the first Sunday of Advent and communion Sunday. It's the first time I didn't do the candle lighting ceremony with a family of the church. But it was good to see how someone else does that part of the service. Also, it was nice to see the results of the decorating group's work. The tree I helped put up was festive with children's hand made ornaments. The tree near the pulpit in the sanctuary was trimmed in gold and white with Chrismons on it. And there was a "giving tree" decorated with tags for needy children in the area. (Much like our Angel Tree). And there was a creche on the floor near the pulpit. The choir sang an Advent song that was well done and appropriate for the day. The Campbells were there when we arrived and we sat with them as usual. We had a nice chat after worship before they headed home.

I stayed for quartet practice afterward as we got ready for singing on Dec. 14 worship services song, "In the Bleak Midwinter." I'm trying to memorize the words and notes so I can look at people while I sing and not rely on the sheet music. We're winging acapella. It's coming along. Back home I got out the new microphone I bought and hooked it up to the computer and recorded my part, and then I put it on my ipod so I can hear the notes while I sing. Cool. It should help.

We had lunch at the Chinese Palace restaurant near our home, and then went home to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the New England Patriots in the rain. The Steelers won handily. Nice. We spent the rest of the evening reading and then watched "The Unit" before going to bed.

No comments: