Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Reaching Out

I began yesterday with a LONG walk with Bonz. I took some water and a couple of treats for him just in case it got too hot. It turned out to be a nice morning for a walk. Dee went to Contours to work out. Afterwards, I got in touch with one of the organizers of our 45th High School class reunion, and made a reservation to attend. Since it's two days after my mother's doctor's appointment next week, I plan to go and see her, accompany her to the doctor's office and then spend the rest of Thursday, Friday and Saturday at her place. I'm sure there are there are things I can help her get done during that time around the house.

I also was able to make contact with the Dean of the Humanities Department of Butler County Community College. I told him of my interest in teaching there. He was very encouraging and suggested I look over the course descriptions online and see which courses I felt I could teach or would like to teach. He said to include the course codes in a cover letter to him along with my curriculum vitae. he indicated that getting a class for the fall "might be pushing it. But definitely for the January term." I saw they had a course on "The Bible as Literature," and also an "Intro to World Religions" course as well as come communications classes (speech, and small group communication) among others that appealed to me. So we'll see.

I also had a phone call from a guy at the church we're attending. He asked me to sing in a quartet for the service on September 7th. He thought I might have some barbershop arrangements of religious songs, which I do. So we'll practice on Tuesdays for several weeks before the service. Should be fun.

In the evening I went to barbershop practice. It went well and there were two new guys there from the open house we'd had a couple of weeks ago. They seemed to have a good time. It would be nice if they stayed with it. I didn't go to Ol' Uncle Bob's for milk and cookies because I had a glucose tolerance test this morning and thus had to fast for 12 hours first. Good day.

No comments: