Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Networking While Not Working

Yesterday began early with a trip to the med lab for a "glucose tolerance test." It takes two hours. When you get there they take a blood sample, then you drink some very sugary liquid, then they take another blood sample after one hour and then an hour later after that. I took a Civil War Times magazine to read while I waited.

Later in the morning I received a phone call from the AF Chaplain at the 171st refueling wing at the Pgh. airport. He's being deployed to Afghanistan later this month and asked if I would hold the monthly religious services at the base at 3 PM the first Sunday of each month until February. Since I was familiar with the place and some of the people he thought I'd be a good substitute. I said sure. That'll work out well for me since it will allow me to go to Sunday morning worship wherever I want and still be of help at the Guard Base.

Later we picked up the GFI circuit breaker switch for the hot tub and the repair guy has the parts he orderedd, so that should all come together this morning. (Earl is coming over to install the GFI.) Since it was humid and looked like rain, we just laid low the rest of the day. Dee finished her Ann Quinlan mystery and I read the two "Harmonizer" magazines I received with my membership packet from the Barbershop Harmony Society presented to me Monday night. Now I'm an official member !

An email arrived also from a new friend, John, at the Presbyterian church. He has a contact at Geneva College, an Academic Dean. I'd told him of my interest in teaching and he sent me the guy's email address and phone numbers. And he sent the guy my contact info as well. I looked over the course description catalogue for Geneva. There are certainly some doable options there as well. Maybe even moreso, since it's a Christian College. We'll see.

No comments: