Sunday, May 11, 2008

Time with Friends

Friday and Saturday were filled with time with friends. Dee was able to go to lunch at Alladins with a new friend from church and to continue her gym work at Contours. I had my second full day at work as a starter/ranger at Treesdale. Dee was also able to go to lunch and shopping with Kathy G. one day and together we had an enjoyable evening of dinner and cribbage with the Curdies. (We also delivered their Wii and I showed John how to set it up so they could begin enjoying it. (I know how much I appreciated Andrew Nelson's help setting it up here with our new TV when I was clueless about it. I figured there was no need for the Curdies to have to struggle with the written directions and it was easier to just show them so they could work it themselves.) Dee and I also go in some "spa" time on Friday night. It ws cool out, but the spa was very comfortable. What a nice option for a time to relax and get some hydro therapy.

My day of work went well as I was teamed up for training with Frank V. all day. He was very helpful and it was a lot of fun. I found it fascinating to listen to talk with people and to listen to others talk to each other outside my "clergy role." Although some of the people i work with know I'm a retired pastor, most other people don't, so it's interesting to observe how they process life. I noticed I work the morning shift next Saturday and that I'm no longer listed as a trainee, so I'll be on my own. As Frank said, "It's not rocket science." The morning shift will work for me that day.

I also had a long conversation with Chaplain Cushman about the military retreat that I'll help with the training during May 30-31 in Wildwood. It sounds as though we've worked out all the details about reimbersement of expenses etc. And now I just need to connect with the chaplian in charge to see what part of the session he'd want me to lead. I do want to go prepared. Also between now and them I want to work on my sermon for Penn Hills Baptist as I'll be doing that the Sunday after we return from NJ.

I'm continuting to learn the Barbershop songs. I want to feel more comfortable singing them with (some) and without (others) the sheets in front of me. Having them on the Ipod continutes to be a blessing. I learned last night that the Bogmeisters have been asked to sing at Memorial Day festivities with Passavant in Zelionople. It'll be interesting to see which parts of that I can join in with because holding up sheet music to sing in public is a no no.

No comments: