Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Yesterday, Sunday, was Mother's Day. We went to two Sunday School classes at the church we've been attending. Dee went to a women's class and I went to a New Testament 101 (overview) class. Each had about 9 people in them. Dee seemed to really enjoy her class. They're using a book on the theme of "encouragement" and how to be an encouraging person. I think one of the people in her class has been helping someone with their children, and the class decided to do things to encourage her in her encouraging. Dee said they prayed together and that it was a good experience. Two in the class were in the choir and knew I'd been there last Wed. The class I went to was finishing their series of studies on the NT. Specifically the book of Revelation. The teacher read an overview of Revelation, and handouts were thorough study aids to help a person get the "gist" of the Book. There was no discussion, and no conversation. Just the teacher reading the lesson out loud.

Fortunately, I did manage to speak with one other person in the class a little before the start and after the conclusion of the class. Richard seemed like a nice guy. He said he sometimes taught the children's class as a sub and so didn't go through the whole NT with this class. Later he introduced me to another person in the hallway who is an Elder in the church. The teacher of the class I attended didn't ask who I was, nor really acknowledge that I was there. No one else in the class spoke to me. In fact, if I had not initiated the conversation with the one guy, no body would have said boo to me. Looks like they need to be coached in the area of connecting with visitors and the kind of impression they give when they don't reach out.

However, since the real purpose of the visit (in my mind) to the classes was to help Dee connect with some of the members and to feel more comfortable about the church, it was a success, as she had a good time in her class. Talked with people and walked away with a positive feeling about it.

We didn't stay for worship (I could see they were going to honor school graduates, plus recognize a confirmation class and have communion. So we opted to go elsewhere.) We went to the Baptist church across the street. I've been wanting to connect with them since it's an ABC (my denomination) church. However, when we arrived at 11 AM there were only 2 cars in the lot. We sat in the car, talked about Dee's experiences in her class for a little, and then decided not to go in.

Instead, Dee wanted to get some fabric for our computer table. So, I called my mother while Dee was in the store. Mom told me about the neighbor's cat and what a smelly nuisance it's become. She said that she called the neighbor about it, but the neighbor hung up on her. So, she called the police to see if they could do something about it. They came, talked with mom and then talked with the neighbor. The policeman said he told her it was against the law to allow pets to roam freely. He also told mom that he's speak to someone about the neighbor's garage/she that is quite an eyesore and is falling down. He said he couldn't do anything about it, but he would contact someone who could. I assure om she did the right thing. We also talked about her going to talk with some insurance people today about some checks she'd written. To see if she'd been scammed or not.

Dee and I went to the Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant for lunch. They had a Mother's Day Buffet that sounded good. It was.

Kerri called later in the day and talked with Dee about her trip to be in a wedding in NJ and the trials and tribulations of spending the weekend with the wedding party. Dee seemed happy Kerri called. I was happy to hear Kerri and Patrick got home safely. Since it rained all day, I tried to build a patio picnic table (round that seats 6) in the garage. The directions are extensive and all you need is a screwdriver, but some things didn't fit was they should, so I quite and will try again fresh today. I'm hoping to get it done before the weekend.

No comments: