Friday, May 9, 2008

Meet the Pastor

The last two days we pretty much stayed close to home although Dee did go to exercise class each day. I rearranged the computer area in our home and now we can see out the window overlooking the woods and homes in the distance behind our house.

I did go to Rotary for lunch. Again the food was great and the conversation around the table was informative and interesting as I learn about the various members and their interests and work. During the afternoon I enjoyed the deck and finished the Prince Caspian book. Also, I had noted in our church bulletin that the adult choir was practicing on Wednesday so I decided to go to practice in the evening. It was okay, but certainly not what I was used to with Linda W. directing, nor was it like what I've been experiencing with the Bogmeisters on Monday nights. The church choir only rehearses one more time before their summer break, and the last time they sing in worship is May 18th. So it was good I went to try it out before they break for the summer. No opening prayer, no warm up exercises. The rehearsal only lasted for about an hour. Very low keyed.

Then yesterday, we'd arranged to have the pastor come for a visit so we could ask him some questions, learn more about him and the church. We talked about the worship service, the music, the youth group and then mission emphasis. I tried to let him know that I'd be willing to help in any way I could, even willing to preach if the opportunity should present itself. I told him I'd decided not to do interim work for the time being, but that I was planning on doing supply preaching when asked. He talked about some of the history of the church and its experiences with the founding pastor and the two brief interims before he arrived last October. We talked about the church's web site and their lack of A/V for the congregation to use for singing, or for the pastor to use to strengthen the verbal impact of his messages with a visual component. He said he was surprised that with so many young adults in the church, that they didn't have any A/V installed with the new remodeling of the church a few years ago. He also talked about the financial challenges the church is facing as they are still paying for the remodeling that was done. It was a good visit.

No comments: