Thursday, January 8, 2009

Of Shades of White and Singing Valentines

Yesterday Dee went to work and I took care of things at the house before going to my Rotary Club luncheon. The speakers were two professional baseball players. Both were from local high schools (Pine Richland and Mt Lebanon)and they were brothers-in-law. One played for Indianapolis Triple A team and the other played with the Tigers farm team, then the pirates for a season, and now has a shot at the Detroit Tigers third base spot. It was interesting to hear their stories of trying to make it in the big leagues.

From there I checked out Lowers and Home Dept's selection of energy savings light bulbs to replace burned out bulbs at our place. What I saw at Home Depot amazed me. They had a display of lighted bulbs in little boxes to show the difference between them. The lights were "soft white", "bright white", and "daylight white". You could see the difference. What amazed me though was that they were all in little boxes painted with the same color paint, but they each looked like they were different paints! Hummmm - must be a sermon illustration there somewhere.

Shortly after that I had to meet a fellow Bogmeister at his home to work on a "singing valentine" flier to advertise our willingness to sing love songs for people who'd like to send a "singing valentine" to loved ones. They'd also get a personalized valentine card with a photo of the event, and a mylar balloon. All for a mere $40. Quite a unique Valentine Gift. The guy lives in Saxonburg so I went to his house (which he has gutted and is refinishing) and we worked on it for a couple of hours. When I came out of the house, it was snowing quite hard and very windy. I took me time getting home with no problems. Dee had a delicious grilled fish dinner waiting for me. Gotta love that gal!

During the evening we stayed in and watched a little television and then I continued reading "Excel 2002 For Dummies". I don't know how to use Excel and have never had the time to learn it, so now I have the time and want to be able to make use of it's capabilities for organizing our household expenses as well as other kinds of things. After finishing the first two sections, I tried setting up a worksheet with our categories on it for the new year. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: