Monday, January 19, 2009

Music and Learning

It's Monday morning and a lot has happened since my last entry, not the least of which the STEELERS WON and are headed to the Super Bowl!

On the home front, I traveled to Columbus Ohio to attend the Leadership Academy for officers in the Barbershop Male Choruses of our district. There were about 170 men there. Being new to the hobby, I realized that there is much to learn and many ways to get our name out before the public. I spent a total of 5 hours over three sessions with P-R experts and tried to soak up their wisdom and insights. In some ways it was overwhelming because there are so many options to explore.

I also attended seminars on leadership and how to navigate the http://www.barbershop.org/ web site. But my favorite seminar was titled, "How to Keep the Bar in Barbershop ;)"

We also heard some great singing and participated in ringing some awesome chords. Here is a photo of the group watching the Singing Buckeye's an award winning chorus. And a couple of amazing quartets.

My daughter Kerri started a blog about her preparations for giving birth in April. She calls it "The Adventures of Baby J." and you can read her entrys at http://theadventuresofbabyj.blogspot.com/

It's been bitter cold out in the single digits until yesterday. We also got about 4 more inches of snow. But the roads are clear and I'm learning that they can handle snow better around here than in NJ where we used to live. Attendance at church seemed a little off, but it was good to be there to hear the choir, talk with a few friends and hear the sermon on John 1:35-51. I saw both of the men I'd invited to chorus practice and was able to reconnect with them briefly.

No comments: