Friday, January 23, 2009

Visiting with Fellow Clergy and PR

Yesterday I went to the Pittsburgh Clergy meeting for Baptists at Mt. Lebanon and learned about what's happening in the churches of my denomination. While there I sat next to the minister from the Monongahela church where my mother attends. After the meeting we talked briefly about her. I asked him if he knew who she was. He said, 'You mean Toots Aiello." I said yes. He said he's talked with her on several occasions and she always seems to have a look on her face of "Wonder why you're talking with me." Any way, I'd mentioned a couple of things about her and described where she lives and encouraged him to connect with her again. I mentioned that her Sunday School class is the main connection point. He noted that no one in her Sunday school class attends worship. That they pretty much stay to themselves.

Here's a photo of the Bogmeisters from Monday night.

During the afternoon I began to do some PR for the Singing Valentines following up leads and calling people at the various media outlets - newspaper, magazines and TV. I also began a log of what I'm doing in that regard so I can follow up where I'm waiting for a call back or looking for an email in response to a request.

I received an email from Pastor Jim asking me if I'd preach for him on March 22 while he's away. I said "sure." That'll be different from when I preach on the February 1 date. In March both he and the Assistant will be away, so I'll be doing the whole thing. Shouldn't be a problem though, just a little more to do. We have two services so I'll lead and preach at both.

In the evening Dee and I went to a local mega church "open house" as they completed the construction of an addition and were having appetizers, tours etc. I'd been wanting to see the inside of that church anyway, so this was a good excuse to go. They seem to have it all. Special areas for little kids; teen area with multiple TV screens (like about 10) for gaming (I noticed 4 Wii set ups) a small stage for events. There were dozens of huge TV screens on the walls throughout the gathering areas. The main building has a 1,400 seat auditorium and a 300 seat one as well. The new addition has 500 seat auditorium for overflow worship seating, or for a second service going on simultaneously. Their PR even indicates a "Cafe worship" service at the same time for those who want a more intimate small group worship experience. Quite the place.

Back home, we watched a couple of shows we recorded of "Burn Notice." Then turned out the lights.

No comments: