Friday, October 17, 2008

A Splash of Color

This is a recent view from our deck as the fall colors come into view. A wonderful time of the year. I'd forgotten how striking the colors are in Western Pennsylvania. Nice.

Yesterday I had two interviews. The first with the DS of the Pittsburgh Conference of Methodists. It turns out he lives in my housing plan so we met for coffee at the Giant Eagle. We had a good conversation, compared notes on life, and he seemed willing to use me from time to time to do pulpit supply. What surprised me was that he is stressed by his job. He's had to do double duty, so to speak, because one of the other DSs of Western PA had a stroke and so the work is doubled. He expressed hope that we could develop a relationship, and get together with our wives for fellowship. He'd pastored the large Methodist church in our area and then took the DS job. He's lived in his current house for 2 years and since he works so much he doesn't really know anyone in his neighborhood. He seemed like a really nice guy and I'd like to help him if I can.

The other interview was with the pastor of the church we're attending. We talked about ways I might help with the ministry there in a "quasi formal" way. The presbytery has a position in local churches called a "Parish Associate" that gives a person some formal recognition in the local church for purposes of doing ministry - specifically leading communion services etc. We're going to pursue that in the weeks ahead. I may do some visitation of people who haven't been in worship for more than a month. I'd enjoy that once day a week or so. He also indicated I could teach a Sunday school class if I wanted to. Either I could wait till his class is over and then start one, or start one sooner by having it approved by their Christian Ed board. We'll see where that goes.

Dee went to her "infra-red wrap" at the gym she attends, and then we met to do lunch. I took her (via the new GPS) to the Log Cabin Inn in Harmony. It's a very nice place, rustic, in the country with excellent food at very reasonable prices. It was like a date - very nice. Afterwards, we stopped at a couple of places and she shopped while I played with the GPS in the car to learn more about how it works.

The weather was blustery all day and the temps were dropping into the high 50s. It looks like cooler weather is here. I'd hoped to put a fresh stain on the deck floor, but it's too damp for that right now. Our friend Russ is going to Boston today and Dee is sending along a nice picture created for Marissa's new baby. Here's a picture of the the picture.

No comments: