Sunday, September 21, 2008

An International Food Fair

On Saturday I golfed at Treesdale for 18 holes ! This is the first week since retiring that I went golfing three times. I'm actually starting to develop some consistency and feeling more confident on certain shots. It was a beautiful day. When I was waiting for the people in front of me to finish out the hole, I would look for lost golf balls in the rough. I found two dozen balls yesterday. It's cheaper than buying new ones. And they're almost always new ones.

When I returned home, Dee had been consolidating some of our unpacked boxes and rearranging the storage area of the basement. She'd bought some new shelves to store things on. I pitched in and helped her by building the new shelves and hanging some pictures that were in the way and needed to at least be on hooks on the wall until we find a place for them.

Afterward we went to the International Food Fair being held at the church in Cranberry. It was very well done, and the food was excellent (all home made from Greece, Italy, USA, Britain, India and France). They had passports for everyone to use when selecting food at the various nationality tables. Each table would check off your passport each time you selected a food item. You could go back as much as you liked. All the money raised was to support future mission trips for members of the church.

On the way home we stopped at Barnes and Noble bookstore, but it was closed. Their power is still out from the storm a week ago. It seems there are still many people without power 6 days after the winds blew through her. We were fortunate in that we were hardly affected at all. I talked with a neighbor doing work for people in Zelienople. He said it was the first time he'd ever seen corn fields flattened by wind. They must have been pretty power winds to cause that to happen.

We finished the evening by reading on the deck into the darkness. I turned on the new rope lights I'd installed and they worked fine. The provided enough light to read by. I'm about 2/3 way through "The Shack" a fantasy story about a man whose daughter was kidnaped during a camping trip and who receives a mysterious note telling him years later to go to the shack where blood stained clothes were found. At the shack he meets (in human form) the Father Son and Holy Spirit. Interesting reading with lots of good theological conversation.

No comments: