Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ah-mennnn.

Well, much has happened since I last wrote here. Dee's family all got together on the evening of the 4th of July in Butler for a time of re-connecting, storytelling (all about Valora, of course). It was a good time and much needed by everyone there. I enjoyed seeing all Valora's grandchildren and great grandchildren. We sure laughed a lot. We walked down the street to see the Butler fireworks in the distance. Our vantage point was poor and so we didn't see much, but it was nice to be with the family. Here are a photo and video I took of Pittsburgh's fireworks (with my lettle digital camera)from last year when we were at the 50th wedding anniversary of the Gilbreath's at the La Mont Restaurant on top of Mount Washington.(turn on sound)

On Saturday, Donna's good friend, Charlene and Bill Stevenson had the family to their home for a brunch prior to the service and viewing at the funeral home. Again it was nice to have everyone together. By then Bobby and his family had come into town and Ruthie and El were on hand as well. It was very thoughtful of the Stevensons to have the brunch.

The viewing and the service seemed to go well for Valora who was born on January 19,1915. People shared lots of nice (and some times funny stories) about how much she impacted their lives. There were about 75 people in attendance. I found out that Dee's cousin has a daughter that works in the pro shop at Treesdale where I am a ranger. I know her but had no idea of the relationship. In fact, she helped me pick out Dee's birthday blouse earlier in May. (small world) Saturday evening we decided to have pizza at the newly opened Pizza Hut (Wing Street) a mile from our house. It's a different kind of Pizza Hut with a full bar and a full menu. We ordered a large Supreme pizza but the waitress brought us a medium sized one. When I asked if that was a "large" she looked at her bill and realized she'd made a mistake ordering the smaller size. She asked if we wanted another medium and she said it would be "on the house" because the mistake was hers. So of course we said "sure." It's a nice family place, with up beat decor and lots to choose from. I'm sure we'll be going back there often. There are about8 other stores to open in that strip of newly built stores. This is the first one finished.

It was good to have Kerri and Patrick here, even if it was for only 2 days. They headed back home after the funeral was over.

Today I preached at Franklin Park Baptist Church and reconnected with a couple of people I knew before we moved to NJ. It was good to worship there. It's about 8.5 miles from my door. (The closest place I've preached yet.) I continue to be amazed that people seem to prefer to sit in the back of the sanctuary when there so many good seats up in the front pews. Also, I've noticed that people tend to dress casually for worship. There are maybe only 3-4 neckties being worn in the congregation. (That's been the case for the last 3 Sundays.) I, of course, prefer a polo shirt with a jacket, as I used to do in NJ, but as the "guest" speaker my sense is that they "expect" the preacher to wear a dress shirt, tie and jacket.

Dee went to have breakfast with Donna and Don, Bob and Mlaine and Ryanne and Jeremy as they were enroute to NC. (About a ten hour drive.)

No comments: