Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Learning Continues

Yesterday was a day of happenings... Having made the decision not to be an interim, I called the chairman and told him of my decision. I also told the Area Minister. They both understood my perspective and indicated that if I ever changed my mind to let them know. Both were very affirming.

Since I knew the day was going to be a busy one, I took Bonz for a nice long walk. He's doing better when it comes to passing other dogs. (He used to yank my arm off, but now I show him the red "gentle leader" and he calms down right away 'cause he knows he doesn't like it.)

The Rotary meeting had a good program about world affairs and how much the world has changed economically and how the nations are much more inter-dependent than ever before. I sat next to a fellow who collects and sells Civil War Antiques (his place is right near where John and Sherron live). He has space in a building where about 40 other vendors have antiques for sale. He also volunteers at the Science Center. Cool. The guy on my right is new to the club, having just moved to the area at the beginning of the year. He's renting and looking for a home to buy. I enjoy meeting new people each week at Rotary.

After the meeting I met with the Golf guy at Treesdale Golf and Country Club http://www.treesdalegolf.com/ about the starter/ranger job. I filled out the paper work and I now work there! It was a fascinating process - one I've not done before. The guy in charge is very laid back and the other people I met who work there seemed nice to work with. They gave me info about Club Corp, and the various expectations of employees. Their motto is "to exceed expectations" and they use a "star fish" as their logo. It's from the story about the guy who was throwing stranded starfish back into the ocean. He was asked what good it did because there were so many starfish that it wouldn't make a difference. Of course, they guy said, "It'll make a difference to this one." The idea being that as employees we're "to make a difference everyday." I'll start next Wednesday after we get back from visiting Kerri and Patrick this weekend. I'll even get a golf shirt, slacks and hat (uniform) for working there. (Life doesn't get any better. PTL!) Should be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

In the evening we went to dance class and continued learning the West Coast Swing. It's coming along - admittedly a little rougher than the East Cost Swing - but we're getting it. But we must practice, practice, practice. Only one more class to go (the 10th lesson) and it's a review of all the dances we learned and is to be mainly a time of actually dancing and learning to tell what kind of dance to do with various songs.

No comments: