Monday, February 25, 2008

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music."

The above quote by Angela Monet is one of my favorite quotes. I suppose because Dee and I continue our dance lessons, but also because it also describes the mystery of "faith" and it's seeming utter nonsense to those who don't have it.

Yesterday we were Presbyterians for a day. We found the service meaningful as they welcomed 10 new members into their midst and baptized a young woman in her 20s. What confused me about this "Presbyterian way" of doing baptism, is that although I saw a bowl of water up front, I never did see the minister touch it or use it. Hum? Maybe I blinked. At any rate, the people were very friendly after the service in the fellowship hour and the sermon spoke to our human desire for "quick fixes" and noted that God is in it for the long haul, and therefore doesn't do "quick fixes." The preacher used the story from John 4 (Woman at the Well) as his basic text.

Later in the day I watched a video called "Planet Earth" (I only watched the first disc of the 5 disc set.) It was produced by the BBC and has fantastic photography. I saw rare footage of snow leopards as well as piranha fish and even panda bears. (Did you know that a baby panda is blind for the first 3 months of it's life? The five set DVDs cost about $52, so I opted for getting them from the local library (now that I'm on a fixed income.) I highly recommend viewing them at your leisure.

I also am find myself watching two programs I've never seen before. They are "How Do they Do That? and "How It's Made." Both are on Discovery Channel. Usually I watch them while I'm doing my workout on the treadmill every other day. (I do that while Dee goes to "Contours" for her workout with other ladies... It's a kind of "Curves" franchise.) Also, when the weather cooperates, I take Bonz (our 5 year old springer spaniel) out for a walk around the block. (Our block is about a half mile in distance.) Our groomer said that the more I walk the dog, the less I'd need to have his nails clipped. The grinding action on the cement wears them down automatically. Since retiring, I've gotten into the habit of wearing a pedometer and strive to walk 10,000 steps a day. (My nurse friend, Donna Thomas, alerted me to this regimen.)

I recieved an emai from Kerri today that said she'd received more pictures from the wedding reception and has added them to her website. If you'd like to see them you can follow this link. http://kpjwedding.googlepages.com/reception Take care, and "listen to the music..."

No comments: