Friday, February 29, 2008

Connecting the Dots

I'm learning that one of the meanings of "retirement" is that it's a time to play "dot-to-dot". Remember that pencil and paper game? Lately, Dee and I have been reconnecting some of the dots of our lives... see below.

Wow - today will make two sunny days in a row (and no snow!). God is good.

Yesterday (Thursday) was filled with exercise at Contours for Dee and the treadmill for me. I learned how they make coffee makers and pantyhose among other things during my treadmill efforts. Also, I now have new shoes and a new pedometer after going to the Robinson Town Center mall. We took an alternate route home (just to see where it came out) and ended up having to use the On Star direction helper to find our way home. God is good.

Last night we went to a Lenten Bible Study at the Cranberry Community Presbyterian Church. It was a video presentation on the topic of "Justification By Grace" (Atonement) as taught be R. C. Sproul. It was okay as we learned about "imputation" and the importance of Jesus' life as well as his death, but I'd hoped for more interaction by the ten people who showed up. At any rate, after the study was done, we visited with the pastor. That's when we got to connect some dots.

It seems that during 1973-76 he was a student at Pitt. I mentioned that those were the years I was the Associate Minister at FBC of Pittsburgh and tried to minister to some of the students at Pitt and CMU. He said that one of the things he remembered about that church was that it had a sign board out front that always had snappy sayings that made him think as he walked past it to go to class. Then, he quoted one he always remembered, "In pursuit of the sheepskin, don't take your eyes off the shepherd." It was nice of him to say that. That's when I learned that it's never to late to receive a compliment... even 35 years later. And some more dots got connected. Truly, God is good!

No comments: