Thursday, December 11, 2008

Caroling with Rotary

Yesterday Dee went to Contours to workout and then shopping while I went to my Rotary meeting. After Rotary about a dozen of us went to three Nursing/ Assisted Living Homes to sing Christmas Carols to them. One of our guys dressed up as Santa. I'd not gone with them on this before so I stayed in the background at the first place.

However, it became evident that they needed a little "organizing" so that we at least looked like we knew what we were doing. So that asked me to find the first note of each of the songs and to select the ones they'd sing. It was all off the cuff, but it went well. I had some fun introducing the songs and our group. I directed some of the songs and got the people to sing with us. I even had them do a little choreography (swaying to "We Three Kings") along the way. We had fun and the people seemed to appreciate our coming. One of the guys took his two doberman pincers along (They were trained as therapy dogs I think, and so they fit right in with bells and all.)

When I finally got home, Dee had already returned. We chilled out in the afternoon and began working on a new jigsaw puzzle together. (It's always fun to see how long it takes to build one - 500 pieces.) Then after dinner I had to go to the church for "quartet" practice. We'll be singing at both services this Sunday. We'll do "In the Bleak Mid-Winter" a cappella style. I pretty much have the words and notes memorized and feel confident I can do my part well. I think some folks from the church are going to our Bogmeister "show" on Monday night. That'll be nice.

I sure do like the music of the season. Our bird feeder has been busy with titmouse, white-breasted nuthatches as well as the downy and hairy woodpeckers. The gold finches have their winter coats as do the purple finches. Occasionally I scare a squirrel away from the feeder. He tries to get the split nuts in it, but isn't very successful because of the nature of the feeder and it's inaccessibility.

No comments: