Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The creche is up

Yesterday I went to the men's Bible Study at church - our topic was the transfer of power from David to Solomon and Solomon's reign as king. We noted that David told Solomon to "be a man". this led us to a discussion of what it meant then to be a man and what it may mean today. We shared about defining moments when we felt we asserted ourselves as adult males in relationship to our fathers. Good conversation.

Afterward we all helped put up the two Christmas trees at the church. One was a 12 foot tree and the other was about 5 feet tall and had a ball on the bottom of roots and soil wrapped in burlap for later planting on the church grounds. The tall tree is in the fellowship and greeting area and the smaller one is in the sanctuary next to the pulpit. With all the guys helping to put the tree up (we used some scaffolding and they had a hook in the ceiling to steady it if for any reason it should tip to the side.)The congregation will be decorating them on Saturday morning at an "Eat and Trim Breakfast".

Afterward, Earl took me home and I showed him the dining room table leaf he made for me 25 years ago. He'd forgotten all about it. It still looks like the day he created it. It's a perfect match. We put it in the table in preparation for Thanksgiving Dinner. Later I put some finishing touches on the creche scene in the basement. The figures were made by my mom (I think) when she took a ceramics class many years ago. She gave us the figures on Christmas and we've used them before. The little shelf in the basement is a perfect place for it and we see it every night when we're reading the paper or watching television.

After Earl left, I sent the recordings of our Bogmeister chorus to the director so she could send them to the people who need them. I was glad the microphone worked as well as it did. We'll tweak it some for future recordings, but it was a good start.

In the evening Dee and I went to the worship service and "pie social" afterward at the church. There were about 75 people there. It was a nice event. We met some new people and got to build on relationships we've begun there. And the tree was still standing from our morning efforts at putting it up.

After we got home, we built the "lighted village scene" on top of the fireplace that divides our living room from the dining room. I'll put a photo of it on the blog tomorrow. Dee arranged the village and I was the gopher who handed the items when she needed them. It really looks nice. I think I'll get a remote switch so I can turn it on and off without having to plug it in each time I want to light it up. (I could use one for the rope lights on the deck too.)

Our next decorating project will be the garlands for the staircase banisters. The"garland grabbers came from QVC and they seem to fit the banisters just fine. More to come...

No comments: