Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A day of preparations

Yesterday was going to be another hot one, so I got Bonz out early for his walk. Dee went to Contours and I got some things done around the house. We decided to have lunch at Costco (we like their sausage and peppers and onions sandwiches.) Then I took the "sale coupon" to Best Buy and bought a home theater system for our tv. I'd been watching a particular system and found that Best Buy had it again and that it was on sale. Dee's nephew Don, said he'd be able to install it on to the wires already installed in our walls.

When we got home, I did some organizing of my office things and decided on a sermon topic for June 22nd at Monroeville Baptist Church - "Reluctant Servants". It'll be about Ananias when he went to help blind Saul of Tarsus. It'll be good to look for illustrations and to think on that theme for the next two weeks and to develop it into a message for the congregation. We also worked on the puzzle we started a couple of days ago on the Fabulous Fifties. As it turns out the puzzle is 36 inches tall and 21 inches wide. And since our table isn't wide enough to build the puzzle the natural way we have to turn the puzzle on it's side to build it. That'll be interesting. We're considering other options (and tables) so we can look at the puzzle normally to figure out where pieces go.

In the evening I went to Bogmeister practice at the Lutheran Senior Center and got to visit with Dee's mom for a while before practice. That was nice. She entered into conversation, told me about her day and that she was tired. I noticed she gets around on the wheel chair very well. moving her legs to propel it. It's a light weight one and she makes it fly. She mentioned that Donnie and Veronica were over on Sunday and they went somewhere together and saw beautiful flowers. Dee said her mom is able to stand to attend to her personal care herself. She seems to be doing better there each day.

Bogmeister practice went well. We worked on a new song that we all were given on CD to learn with sheet music in hand. Last night we sang it for the first time together and were to do it without our noses in the music. We struggled, but it came along and by the end of the evening we were getting the feel of it together. It's the first practice I went to where I felt I was prepared. Since I started I've been playing "catch up" learning words, and notes to many songs the rest of them already know. We closed the evening at Uncle Bob's with cookies and milk, and singing a few songs for the local patrons.

12 of the guys are planning to go to "Harmony Music Camp" on Thursday at Kenyon College in Ohio. It's called "Apple Core Camp" because we're part of the Johnny Appleseed Disctict. I'm excited to be going. I've never been able to do anything like this. I hope to learn a lot that will benefit me and the group for a long time to come. There will be a couple of hundred men there learning the ins and outs of Barbershop Harmony singing. I leave on Thursday and return Sunday about noonish. Dee doesn't have any plans for that time I'm away, yet.

No comments: