Saturday, April 19, 2008

Warmest Day of the Year!

Yesterday was the warmest day of 2008. It got up to 78 degrees. Having heard on the weather station that it was going to be a nice day, I decided to try to go golfing at my new place of employment. When I arrived, I got a golf cart and went to hit some balls at the driving range. Then I went to the pro shop and they said I could go and play nine holes on the "Orchard Course." I was outside getting ready to go to my first experience at this golf course, and a man who was by himself asked me if I'd like to play golf with him on the "Lakes Course.". (He is a member and I am a lowly ranger employee.) I told him sure, but I didn't know if I was allowed being I was a ranger. He said let's go and find out. He went back in to the pro shop and asked the Director of Golf who said, "yes." Before I knew it, we were at the first tee. He wanted to play at the "blue" tees. (That's a little farther back than the white tees, where I normally play.) Anyway, we had a great two and a half hours playing golf. He'd tell me the lay of each green, various hazards to avoid and stragegy for someo of the holes. AND, as it turns out, he's a deacon in his church. We talked about his church some and enjoyed the morning together. It was truly a "grace filled" morning for me.

While I was there, Dee was doing things at the house in preparation for the Fishers coming over for dinner tonight. When I got home, I walked Bonz around the block and then Dee and I had lunch together, and went shopping for shelves. We found what we wanted at Target and picked up some items at Giant Eagle. At home I built the shelves and the unloaded 8 boxes of books and placed them in an orderly fashion on the shelves in the basement area. (These are the resource books I chose to keep after my years in ministry.)

After dinner, we sat on the porch and enjoyed the nice weather. Dee started reading a new book she had, while I decided to type the words to the various barbershop songs onto my computer so I can memorize them easier. Bonz watched the neighbors on their deck and began getting used to them and their cats being there. While I was typing away on the laptop, every once in a while I'd hear a bird calling across the valley behind out home. So I got my binoculars out and searched for the anonnymous singer. I found him. As it turns out it is a pileated woodpecker. Awesome! As I searched other branches I found a downey woodpecker, my first cardinal of the summer, a bluejay and some gold finches as they loped their way past our deck. (Since our home and deck are elevated, I often look down or straight across at many of the birds. My own birdseye view. LOL) Cool.

It was a beautiful day. A morning of free golf with a new friend; lunch and dinner with my honey; time to finally organize my reference shelves; and time on the deck enjoying the sights and sounds of our new neighborhood. God is good.

No comments: