Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Day of Inspiration, Affirmation and Celebration!

Yesterday, Dee must have sensed that since spring is in the air, summer can't be far behind. So she said, "Let's put our winter clothes away and break out the summer ones." Pure inspiration! So, we brought the summer clothes down from the upstairs bedroom closet and put them in the master bedroom closet. And vice-versa. Sometime during that labor intensive process, I decided to try on a few things... and wonder of wonders, my Bermuda shorts ALL fit just fine. Also, I tried on my favorite suit (which I haven't worn for at least 4-5 years) and it fit like a glove! Not only that, but another suit I have and haven't worn for eons also fit! Fortunately, they're classic suits and are in style still today. What an affirmation, I couldn't believe it. So when we were all done, we went out and celebrated! Dee bought a new purse at Kohls (and saved 15% because her husband was along) and I bought a honey and glazed pecan latte at Starbucks!

What a life!

During the evening we rented a movie called "The Bee Movie" that was okay. Great animation. And I organized a file cabinet drawer of sermons and illustrations I'd been wanting to attend to for a long time. (I used to write my sermons out longhand for many years and kept them. But when we decided to move, I didn't know which ones to keep as there were 30+ years of sermons and research notes. I finally decided to keep just the ones from the Gospels and discarded the rest - a painful process to say the least. I was more interested in the research notes than the actual sermons, since they would need to be revised and almost totally redone to be relevant to today's world.) I read bits and pieces of them as I organized and recalled some of the life events I referred to long ago. An enjoyable process for me. I still have one more drawer to do, so sometime I'll have to get around to it as well.

I also received a phone call to preach a Sunday in July at a local Presbyterian Church. I said yes. I do miss preaching (It's a good exercise process for my mind to organize my thoughts.) I always try to remember what my homiletics professor said, "Are you preaching because you have something to say? OR, are you preaching because you just have to say something?" Since being retired and going from church to church on Sundays, and listening to others preach, I sometimes conclude that, unfortunately, they find themselves doing the latter.

No comments: